There are 70 Phaseolus species in America, according to Freytag & Debouck (2002). The beans of the Old World previously assigned to Phaseolus are all placed in Vigna, which is distinguished by its non spiraled floral keel, or in Lablab. Among Phaseolus, 5 species have been domesticated, and 3 have reached Europe.
- Phaseolus vulgaris, common bean, the most important species.
- Phaseolus coccineus, runner bean
- Phaseolus lunatus, Lima bean
- Phaseolus dumosus
- Phaseolus acutifolius, tepary bean
- Freytag, G. F. & D. G. Debouck, 2002. Taxonomy, distribution, and ecology of the genus Phaseolus (Leguminosae-Papilionoideae) in North America, Mexico and Central America. Sida, Bot. Misc., 23:36–42.