- English: Andaman marble wood, zebra wood (trade name of timber) (Wealth of India)
- Tamil: vellaikarungali (Wealth of India)
- Andamans: pecha-da (Wealth of India)
- Sri Lanka: kalu-kadumberia (Wealth of India)
Classification and nomenclature
synonym: Diospyros oocarpa Thwaites (1860), considered as distinct by the Plant List.
- wood: dull white with some black streaks. "It is one of the most decorative and striking timbers of the world" (Pearson & Brown, 1932: II, 700)
Wealth of India (The), 1952. A dictionary of Indian raw materials and industrial products. Vol. 3. Raw materials : D-E. New-Delhi, Council of scientific and industrial research. XX-236-XXX p., 22 pl., index vol. 1-3.