Allamanda cathartica (PROSEA)
- Protologue: Mant. pl. 2: 214 (1771).
- Allamanda hendersoni W. Bull ex Dombrain (1866).
- Common allamanda, golden-trumpet (En)
- Indonesia: lame areuy (Sundanese)
- Malaysia: akar chempaka hutan, akar chempaka kuning, bunga akar kuning
- Philippines: kampanero, campanilla (Tagalog)
- Thailand: ban buri lueang (general)
- Vietnam: huynh anh, dây huỳnh.
Native to tropical America and the Caribbean, A. cathartica is now cultivated throughout the tropics.
Throughout South-East Asia, a decoction of the leaves is used as a purgative or emetic. In the Philippines, a decoction of the plant is used as an antidote. However, large doses may result in poisoning. In Java a steaming infusion is used to relieve coughs and headaches; the patient breathes in the vapour. In South America, the leaves or latex are used as a purgative. In Peru, the bark is used as a febrifuge. In Suriname, a decoction of the root is taken as a remedy for jaundice and enlarged spleen resulting from malaria.
- A robust climbing shrub up to 6 m tall, branchlets glabrous.
- Leaves elliptical to obovate, 2.5-15 cm × 1-5 cm, base cuneate, apex acuminate to caudate, glabrous or pilose beneath.
- Inflorescence 8.5-18 cm long.
- Sepals lanceolate or narrowly elliptical, 10-17 mm × 3-4 mm, without colleters inside, corolla tube about 5-7 cm long, distinctly widened halfway, lobes 1.6-4 cm long, style with stigmatic pistil head about 3.5 cm long; in cultivation rarely fruiting.
In its native area, A. cathartica is found in mangrove swamp and on river banks. Several cultivars have been developed in A. cathartica . "Grandiflora" has flowers of exceptional size, "Hendersonii" has orange-yellow flowers with white spots in throat, tinged bronze, lobes thick and waxy, and "Nobilis" has large and strongly whorled leaves, with very large, pure gold flowers.
- Burkill, I.H., 1966. A dictionary of the economic products of the Malay Peninsula. Revised reprint. 2 volumes. Ministry of Agriculture and Co-operatives, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Vol. 1 (A-H) pp. 1-1240, Vol. 2 (I-Z) pp. 1241-2444.
380, 407, 459, 696, 739, 786, 810.
Slamet Sutanti Budi Rahayu